Silent Killer in your home

Swivel recliner


As I sat in my swivel recliner chair yesterday, I thought just how easy it would be to succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning, the silent killer!

Carbon monoxide

Fortunately for me, the place I was sitting in does not have any combustible heating, such as a gas fire or an open fire or even one of the ever more popular wood burners. However, so many people do use one of the types of heating and as a result, leave themselves susceptible to dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is known as “the silent killer” because it is colourless and odourless and has no taste so there is no way you would be are of it. Whilst CO detectors are useful, they are not a substitute for good installation, maintenance and annual servicing of gaseous (Fossil Fuel) appliances”.  This should be done on a regular basis.

Carbon monoxide entering a room will not tell you it is there, it won’t worry you and it can be lethal. As the carbon monoxide takes over it rises to the top of your room and slowly and silently forces out all of the oxygen, you will become drowsy, something that is normal for me, however, joking is not something anyone should do about this killer, and if you do not manage to realise something is wrong and get out of the room then the silent killer that is carbon monoxide will claim another victim.

It is important to have your appliances or chimneys checked at least once a year to ensure that the connections to any gas appliances are secure and that there is no possibility of gas escaping from them. With regard to chimneys from open fires or wood burners, it is sensible to have them checked at least once a year, after all, you never know which little bird has decided it is nice and warm there and attempted to build a nest which will then block your chimney.

Most important of all though is to have the dectors mentioned earlier checked out properly.

It is so nice to enjoy the comfort of a swivel recliner chair and even better doing it knowing you are safe from any dangers of Carbon monoxide poisoning